Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I once had a blog, or should I say one once had me...

My sister told me that she had updated her blog and that I should check it out. Blog... blog... these words were faintly familiar to me, like a long forgotten memory. And like all long forgotten memories, when stirred up, it comes back in full force. I HAVE A BLOG!!!!

The blog has kind of been like, well, you know, that miserable child in the movies that no one in the family wants to acknowledge because he has fallen so hopelessly short of all expectations. I had great plans for my blog. It was going to be witty, funciontal, and a great way to share the wonderful (albeit scattered) moments of sunshine that fill my life. Instead, well, it lasted about a month from the looks of my woefully short archive (can four postings even constitute and archive?).

On the other hand, I never promised full sunshine anyway. It is scattered sunshine after all, unpredicatable and simply a blessing whenever it shows up. So, now that I am going to take another crack at it, I must face the very problem that has caused such a lack in posting to begin with. Where do we start? How far back do you go to catch everyone up?

Well, here goes. Get ready for a year's worth of scattered sunshine!

Not too long after that wonderful graduation post (I will confess that it is my favorite post thus far, so make sure you dig through those archives, it is well worth the effort) we had the opportunity, shall we call it, to sell our home. We went from this:





to this:










I have never looked back. The selling of our old home and the purchasing of the new one could certainly have a post unto themselves. It is a tale involving ambulances, the ER, speeding cars, and large amounts of money. A regular blockbuster really. But for now we must press on, especially since my husband wants me to get off the computer and come and play a game.



During the summer of 2010 we did many fun things like grow a garden






(one that actually produced a harvest!!!)





and travel out west for an extended family reunion.






We explored downtown Midland (yes, Midland does in fact have a downtown) hunting for the turtle statues that were on display.




We had someone's first visit from the tooth fairy!




We had a wonderful baptism.




And we enjoyed all the critters that come from living outside of town.




Then came autum and with it the beginning of school. Kimberly started preschool.




And the boys rode the bus for the first time.




Fall also brings sports like soccer





and ballet.




Having enjoyed so much success, we decided to try our hand at something new. We adopted two kittens a brother and sister that we named Jack...




and Annie.








In December we returned to University of Michigan to attend Tom's commencement where he was hooded and received his PhD.





Then winter set in. It was long...




and cold!



We celebrated a birthday...



and lost some more teeth.



Spring has brought my 30th birthday and many visits to the butterfly gardens.




Now we are all back in soccer






(some of us a bit more commited than others)



and, of course, some more lost teeth (I heard the tooth fairy had to take out a loan to keep up with this guy!).






Whew! I think that brings us to.... today!! Today we had rain, lots and lots of rain. So much, in fact, that the soccer fields were closed and we suddenly had a free evening (hence to the blogging)! I also had the pleasure of cleaning up two rounds of throw-up and explaining to one of my sons what the word "hell" means and why we don't really use it. But, you know what? Even though it was pouring rain all day, come evening.... we had some scattered sunshine!

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Welcome back to the blogging world. I love the picture of Andrew in motion on the soccer field. And Kimberly of course makes a beautiful ballerina:) Scott is so brave to let a butterfly land on his hand. I know they are pretty, but they are still insects:) I love your year summary, will you come do one for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey-good to see you here! That was quite the update-even more fun than the Christmas letter kind ;) We're missing soccer too tonight...maybe some blogging here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey...so fun to see you and your cute family in the blogging world. i'm excited to see fun little updates on your family - just don't wait another year this time ;) j/k!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on all the fun events over the last year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great update. It looks like you guys are having a blast. Kimberly is so grown up looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last paragraph brought sunshine to my life. What a good post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad for the update! Your kids are cute and so BIG. I can't believe Scotty is eight! And congrats to Tom on his PhD. Love the new house too. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new house is beautiful!!!! I really want to see some pics of the inside too. It looks HUGE and your garden is amazing. So proud of you! Looks like you guys are having an amazing time. We sure miss our fellow Gilberts!

    ReplyDelete